Monday, September 13, 2010



I came across Hilary Judd, a book artist positioned in the UK and can't stop thinking about her pop-up books. Here are a couple of images, but you can find lots more info about her and her other incredible creations here.

Earlier last month, my mom and I started a project together. We got to talking about how much we loved the little white house on the lake where I spent the first 7 or 8 years of my life...but we realized how different each of our memories were. For me, it was such a peaceful, magical childhood home. For my mom, a single mother raising two little ones, it was quite a different era. Anyway, we got to sharing and we have decided to work on a series of large images (drawings for me, watercolors for mom) all about that little house. It has become a wonderful opportunity for me to try to get to know my mom as her younger self. Hilary's pop-up books remind me of childhood...I was (and still am) obsessed with books of all type, and my mom has been reminding me lately about all of the little pop-up books and cards and paper dolls I created as a tot. I just may have to give another go at the pop-up structures. We'll see. More info about the collaboration with my mom here: 94 North Shore.

No comments: