Monday, July 28, 2008


I have been interested in the way that repetition works within this experience-the image loop, the loop of the space, the loop of the day, and how quickly patterns arise within an experience that is still so new.
I thought that maybe I would be drawn in to specific areas or details of elsewhere, but rather have discovered a continuous rhythm, found repetition in the whole.
Repetition in color palette and patterns, even within such an array of materials, repetition in the walking paths within the space, daily schedules and the relation to time in this sort of environment.

I have also discovered comfort in working more ephemerally. A desire never arose in me to think about working something permanently into the space, building, or altering anything significantly.
I imagine this stems from what I understand led to the foundation of this space as it exists now. (the exploration that was involved in order to end at the idea of creating a layered art space. The process of digging through piles.) In a sense I wanted to have that level of exploration myself...thus the interest in exploring and reformatting my surroundings in a way that I can understand and step toward something else.
The other influence of the impermanence in what I have focused on here must have to do with the social environment, and the restraints and tensions that I guess inevitably go along with communal activities. I often need to seek privacy in this sort of space, and I feel that I spend a lot more mental energy on thoughts about getting out of someone's way, or seeking ways in which I can be more helpful. So, when the time comes to focus individually on my experience and work within the space, I don't want to be noticed, or watched, or require assistance. At some level I want my physical self to disappear, but the documentation, the evidence to remain.
To go back to later?
To show someone as proof of some sort?

(FYI: posts lately have mostly been about my current experience as a production assistant at Elsewhere Artist Collaborative)

No comments: